DIY Lilly Pulitzer Inspired Jewelry Organizer for under $10

Hi everyone! My first post on this blog will be about how to make a jewelry box inspired by the Lilly Pulitzer one shown below.
Image result for lilly pulitzer jewelry box

The Lilly jewelry box comes in a variety of tropical prints and has lots of compartments to store and display jewelry. My version was based loosely on this design and it cost me virtually nothing to make. The title says under $10 but I made mine entirely of things I had around my house, which cost me nothing. You may want to purchase fabric or extra decorations for yours though.







What you will need
------------------------------
  • cardboard (I used the side of an old small Amazon box)
  • 1 small box and 1 bigger box that the small box can fit into. These can be found easily at dollar stores.
  • Paint
  • Hot Glue 
  • felt or fabric
  • sandpaper (if boxes are glossy coated)
  • ribbon (optional)
The Steps:

  1. Cut out 2 rectangles of cardboard. Measure the height of the lid of the smaller box and subtract that from the height of the larger box to get the height of the cardboard rectangles. The length is how wide the larger box is. These will be the compartments inside the box and hold up the tray of jewelry.
  2. Cut notches into the middle of each lengthwise so that they can fit into each other in an X formation.
  3. Next, paint the cardboard pieces and the inside of the box whatever color you prefer. Alternatively, if you wanted to get the fabric look of the actual jewelry box , you could glue fabric onto the interior of the box.

To make the jewelry tray:
  1. For the jewelry tray, use the lid of the smaller box and paint or glue fabric onto the lid. I painted the sides of mine pink and added white felt to the middle. 
  2. To make the dividers in the tray, cut out pieces of cardboard that are the height of the tray and the length of the tray. Glue these onto the sides and middle of the tray using hot glue for maximum security. I added some hot glue to the raw edge of the cardboard to seal it and make it look more finished. You can use colored hot glue to make it look better but I only had clear glue at the time.
Finishing touches:
  1. I put the compartments into the bigger box and straightened it out a little. I opted not to glue mine in so I can use it without the compartments if I needed to.
  2. My lid was a little too small to fit snuggly into the larger box so I glued on some faux fur to help it stay in place better. I also added ribbons as handles for the tray. 
  3. To make the ring holders, I used a piece of foam, rolled it accordion style, and stuck it into one of the compartments. There are many ways to do this but I had the piece of foam so I just used it.
  4. The original jewelry box also has a knob on the lid. Mine was easy to open and close but you can glue a knob onto yours.
Painting the box:
  1. I didn't take any pictures of the painting process but the design will vary by person. 
  2. If your box has a shiny coating that makes the paint not adhere well, take some medium grit to fine grit sandpaper and sand it lightly to create some surface for the paint to adhere to.
  3. Paint the background color white or whatever color you choose for your design.
  4. I based my design off of Lilly Pulitzer's Oh Shello
     
  5. Sketch the design lightly on the box first and then go back and fill it in with paint. I used tiny brushes and mixed different shades of light pink and blue. To create the shells, I painted fans with rounded edges. Make sure to seal your work with a clear coat of mod podge or any other type of sealant. 
  6. Alternatively, you could also use fabric and glue it over the outside of the box or mod podge paper onto it to get your desired look.
That's how I made my Lilly Pulitzer inspired jewelry box. 
It stores all of the extra jewelry perfectly and is a great place to put jewelry bags and boxes. It looks great next to the rest of my jewelry organization.

Jewelry stand: TJ Maxx
Bracelet holder: Joann's fabric store


Comments

Popular Posts