DIY Lilly Pulitzer Inspired Pom Pom Pillow

I've been on a serious DIY kick and made these Lilly inspired pillows for my room!
They are pretty darn close to the original at a fraction of the cost. I got a yard of each fabric for about $10 and I only needed about half of each to make 1 pillow. I got everything for this project at Joann's fabric and used coupons for it!

Materials:
  • 1.5 yard of fabric for 20 x 12 inch pillows
  • A sewing machine or needle and thread
  • Polyfill filling
  • pom pom tassel trim (2 spools for this size pillow)
  • iron and ironing board (optional)


To start, I cut out a piece from each fabric measuring 22 x 14 inches since the Lilly pillows are 20 x 12 inches and we need some seam allowance. I ironed it to make sure it was flat and easy to sew. For this project I am using a sewing machine but handsewing would also work.


Then, I decided to sew on the pom poms first to one of the fabric pieces. You could also just sandwich the two fabric pieces and pom pom trim together, pin it, and sew but I wanted to make sure I was sewing the pom poms on. I cut out the length of trim I needed for each side, pinned them on, and then sewed to one of the fabric pieces, right side and pom poms together. For the edges, I overlapped the corners of the trim and back-stitched it to make sure it was secure.


Finally, I put the second piece of fabric face to face with the piece I just sewed. I sewed around the edges with a 1/2 inch straight stitch, leaving a big enough gap to stuff the pillow. After trimming a bit of the corners off, I flipped it right side out and used the tip of a pair of scissors to poke out the corners. Then I filled it with poly fill until it was firm and rounded out. To sew the closing together, I handstitched it closed.


This was an easy and fun project to do and really looks just as good as the Lilly pillows. 
You can customize them however you want and there is an endless amount of fabric options to choose from!
shell

Comments

Popular Posts